Tricking the Thief

I was at work when my husband whatsapped to inform some foreign currency was missing from the bed side table drawer! He was back from his work trip just a day back. When I was back home we searched the entire drawer and our cupboards but still some 250 USD were missing. But more than that what was worrying me was when I couldn’t find one of my gold bangle which was also there in that same drawer!

Theft at house! Who could it be?

Next day I rounded up my cook and questioned him. I told him I am going to question my maid too and then go to Police, they’ll then investigate. All I wanted was one sign of fright on their faces to know who the hell was so smart!
The mention of police made my housemaid’s face all white. This was what I was waiting for. I went to the association office to get her details but unfortunately they were having her old details. You know, how carelessly these things work in India!


She thought she could outsmart me and got the bangle with her that evening when she came for work and kept it behind the bed. She picked it up and told me – “madam, it was lying behind the bed and you are worrying about it.”

She just never realized I was standing right behind her and watched her entire act!

I was furious that not only she stole in my house, she was trying to act super smart. Things like this doesn’t go down well with me. I still had to recover my dollars. I had already fired her from work that evening. But I was adamant o get the dollars back and report to the cops.

I followed her secretly to her house – which wasn’t a pleasant place at all. It was a dingy wet slum area. My husband tried to stop me but I was sure I wanted to know where she lived exactly so that I could report to the cops. I carried an umbrella with me. Yeah, that was for self-defense!

There was a heated conversation in front of her house where she claimed she didn’t have the money, then she didn’t have the keys to her cupboard etc etc. But I was so furious and so angry that she probably got scared. My poor husband who had followed me to see if I was safe was also scared I guess by that time.

While searching for the money – I found my iPod in her cupboard! It was just the fuel I needed to explode. My further searches revealed it was not just one day she had picked up randomly she has been doing that for months or may be years! My husband’s iPod nano was also there and so were my clothes, watches, coffee mugs, earrings and god knows what not!

I went to report it to the cops next day. Instead of filing an FIR they were surprised I had recovered all the stolen material from the house! They had even suggested me to submit al that I had recovered in the police station before they start questioning her.

That’s even more risky I guess!

She had sent people from her community to threaten me – but yeah neither me or my husband give a damn about such things.

Sometimes I feel I was lucky she had not sold off the bangle. It would have been a big loss. I still don’t know how and when she took my stuffs, maybe I had to be more careful and I try to be that now.


Have you ever faced such a situation? Recovering your stolen stuff or tricking the thief?


***
This post is written for the A to Z Challenge 2016 for Day 20 Letter T. Visit A to ZBlogChatter to read other beautiful bloggers!